Scott Walker said Tuesday that the state is working to get back on track after a year of severe food-safety problems.
He announced the plan at a breakfast hosted by the Wisconsin Manufacturers Association and Wisconsin Manufactures Employees Association, where he was joined by two of his top aides, Jason Litzenberger and Dan Schoen.
Walker told the group that he was “not happy” with the way the state has done its job, which included implementing a statewide recall effort against the former GOP governor and two other Republican governors, Tom Barrett and Mark Badger.
“The good news is that our state has recovered and has returned to where it should be,” Walker said.
“It’s a little disappointing to me that we have gotten back to where we were before the recall effort.”
Walker, who is up for reelection in 2018, said the state should be “working hard” to bring back jobs and help businesses that have been laid off.
He said that while he understands that the public wants a fresh start, it was important for the state to focus on job creation and rebuilding its economy.
“I want to say this: We are not going to be sitting back,” Walker told reporters.
“We are going to work hard, we are going for the recovery, and we are not gonna let the economy be dragged down by this recall effort.”
We are not giving up on our businesses, we’re not giving in to fear, we have the resources, and I don’t think that we should give in to our business community,” he said.”
Our state has a lot of work to do, but it is time to move forward.
“The governor said the recall attempt “isn’t about me.
It’s about the future of Wisconsin.
“The state’s governor’s office said in a statement that he intends to continue working on “the issues that matter to Wisconsin families and businesses, including rebuilding the economy and improving Wisconsin’s public safety record.
“Walker’s announcement comes after the state went on a two-week-long food recall last week, after the governor said his office was working on a new plan to address the problem.
He announced his plans in a tweet Tuesday morning, saying the new plan would include the creation of an independent task force.
He also said the governor was working with other state leaders on a plan to “restore the confidence and confidence of all Wisconsinans in our state.”
Walker also announced Tuesday that he would create an emergency committee to develop a food safety plan.
Walker’s administration has said the plan will include steps to prevent the spread of food-borne illnesses, including testing and disinfection of food facilities.
Wisconsin’s food system has been hit hard by food-industry and industry groups that have complained that the recall attempts have not addressed the root cause of the crisis.
They have said that the lack of state-imposed oversight has created an environment where businesses are not required to follow strict food-handling practices.